clear sky


Laguna Beach

Police Files

Overall crime in Laguna Beach decreases for second year in a row

Laguna Beach continues to boast an extremely low crime rate. For the second year in a row, LBPD is again pleased to announce that overall crime has decreased in 2019.

Crime statistics comparing 2018 to 2019 show a 4 percent overall reduction in crime (from 576 total crimes in 2018 to 556 total crimes in 2019), which is difficult to achieve after enjoying a 14 percent crime reduction in 2018. Property crime, specifically larceny, decreased 18 percent from 316 reported incidents in 2018, to 257 reported in 2019. 

This reduction is the direct result of fewer beach thefts due to intensified foot patrols directly on the sand and in the parks adjacent to the beach. 

Police Files Property Crimes Stats

Click on photo for a larger image 

Courtesy of LBPD

Property crime decreased by 15 percent last year

In 2019, there was an increase in simple assaults, which was mostly attributed to domestic violence incidents. There was also a slight increase in reported sexual assaults. These incidents are from known assailants, reports LBPD.

LBPD uses a data-driven approach to track crime on a monthly and yearly basis, effectively identifying and targeting specific crimes and problem areas through creative strategies, enforcement, and community engagement and education. 

Police Files Violent Crimes Stats

Click on photo for a larger image 

Courtesy of LBPD

Violent crime statistics for Laguna Beach

This ongoing and active evaluation of how to positively impact an issue is directly related to LBPD’s success. Having officers assigned to address the community’s specific needs has proven successful. These assignments include Community Outreach Officers, a Business Liaison Unit, School Resource Officers, and Traffic Officers to mention a few. 

“The overall decrease in crime is attributed to having the highest staffing levels, a data driven approach to impact repeat call locations, and the support from the community and City Council on initiatives such as the Main Beach and Heisler Park engagement booths,” said LBPD Chief Laura Farinella.“The men and women of the Laguna Beach Police Department are to be commended for their diligent efforts in identifying crime and nuisance issues and working with the community to find innovative strategies to impact these challenges.”


Shaena Stabler is the Owner, Publisher & Editor.

Dianne Russell is our Associate Editor & Writer.

Michael Sterling is our Webmaster & Designer.

Mary Hurlbut is our Chief Photographer.

Alexis Amaradio, Barbara Diamond, Dennis McTighe, Diane Armitage, Marrie Stone, Maggi Henrikson, Samantha Washer, Stacia Stabler and Suzie Harrison are our writers and/or columnists. Scott Brashier is our photographer.

We all love Laguna and we love what we do.

Email: for questions about advertising


Email: with news releases, letters, etc.


© 2020 Stu News Laguna - All Rights Reserved.